Student Affairs Focuses On Success, But How?
Learn about the Division's programs and services offered to Northeastern students.
Message from the Vice President
As we embark on the 2018-2019 academic year, I’m pleased to share this Guide to Student Affairs Programs and Services, and to extend an invitation for you to partner with us on our initiatives.
The Division of Student Affairs connects students to the University through educationally purposeful activities outside the classroom. Our programs and services promote learning, leadership, engagement, service, health and wellness, and the celebration of diversity. In the coming year, our work will be focused on the following priorities to better serve our students:
- Review current “customer service” practices and implement effective cultural relevant strategies in support of student success and retention.
- Rebuild Career Development with a focus on expanding learning experiences opportunities for student and strengthening community and business partnerships.
- Finalize and implement a student a scholarship fund program from facility and community rental revenues.
- Continue to implement the African American Student Success Initiative, Foundation for Student Success, and Dream.US Scholars programs.
- Continue to build residential hall programs and resources, which include a dedicated residence hall staff and graduate ambassadors to support student retention.
- Implement the vaccination policy for students and develop a plan for the immunization compliance program for the University.
- Develop a “Student Affairs Fee Advisory Committee” to review and recommend the use of student fees.
- Develop a plan to provide student fee funds to enhance student engagement at El Centro and the Carruthers Center for Inner City Studies.
- Develop wellness activities and programs for El Centro and the Carruthers Center for Inner City Studies.
- Continue to rebuild the Angelina Pedroso Center for Diversity and Intercultural Affairs to support student success.
- Campus Recreation will facilitate with creation of a Family Inclusive Changing Room in the Student Recreation and Wellness Center.
- Continue to develop Student Financial Wellness (Financial Aid, Scholarships, Student Employment and Student Payment Services) to enhance the student experience.
- Implement communication plan to inform the University community of academic and co-curricular policies and processes that affect student success (i.e. classroom disruption, academic integrity, student grievance, and behavioral concern referrals).
The Student Affairs team looks forward to working with you, and we thank you for your continued support and commitment to our students.
Daniel López, Jr., Ph.D.
Vice President for Student Affairs
STRATEGIC PLAN 2015-2020
The Division of Student Affairs at Northeastern Illinois University actively supports and engages its diverse community of learners through excellent programs and services that enhance students’ personal development, leadership skills, and intercultural competencies to engage in a dynamic global society.
The Division of Student Affairs will be a national leader in urban higher education and among Hispanic Serving Institutions through its promising practices to support student success.
The Division of Student Affairs embraces the University’s core values and contributes to student success through:
We encourage empowerment through learning as we educate students to be active citizens that lead with integrity and create change within their University, local community, and in the world.
We celebrate diversity and encourage the idea of equal participation within our society and foster in our students a commitment to creating a more equitable and just world.
We support access to opportunity and are committed to excellence by providing quality programs and services to meet students’ personal, academic, and career needs.
We enhance the University community by providing hands-on learning and reflection opportunities for students that enrich their educational pursuits.
EXCELLENCE IN STUDENT ENGAGEMENT
- Explore and implement strategies to support the success of our diverse student populations.
- Support integrative learning by ensuring Student Affairs programs and services advance the University’s baccalaureate goals.
- Infuse meaningful opportunities for civic learning and democratic engagement throughout Student Affairs to enhance students’ sense of community responsibility.
- Assess Student Affairs programs, services and operations to support continuous improvement and contributions to student recruitment, retention and graduation.
- Develop new traditions that instill pride and cultivate a strong connection to the University.
EXCELLENCE IN EDUCATIONAL PARTNERSHIPS
- Enhance strong working relationships with Academic Affairs and develop partnerships with individual faculty members to support student success.
- Develop meaningful partnerships with community leaders and organizations that support local and global learning opportunities for students.
- Increase strategic communication with various stakeholders regarding Student Affairs programs and services.
- Develop strategies to engage parents and family members as our partners in student success.
- Support the College of Graduate Studies and Research by ensuring we provide quality programs and services to graduate students.
- Collaborate with faculty and staff at El Centro, the Jacob H. Carruthers Center for Inner City Studies, University Center of Lake County, and the Chicago Teachers’ Center.
EXCELLENCE IN INNOVATION
- Explore and implement programs and services appropriate for the development of new student housing.
- Engage in professional development and benchmarking to stay aware of emerging best practices in urban higher education and Hispanic Serving Institutions.
- Identify strategies that allow us to anticipate and proactively address the future needs of our students.
- Discover and incorporate new technologies that support student success by enhancing the delivery of student services and programs.
- Identify opportunities for external funding to support new developments within Student Affairs.
EXCELLENCE IN PROFESSIONAL PRACTICE
- Utilize the Professional Competency Areas for Student Affairs Practitioners as a framework for staff training and development.
- Support an intentionally inclusive and welcoming University community through excellent customer service for all students.
- Contribute to the higher education profession by creating and sharing knowledge regarding students at a diverse urban institution.
- Develop policies and procedures that support student-centered operations within Student Affairs.
- Recruit staff and student employees in Student Affairs that broadly represent the diversity of our student body.
- Recognize and reward excellence among Student Affairs staff and others across the University who support student success.