The Teacher Education Department encompasses:
- Three undergraduate initial teacher licensure programs: for undergraduate candidates who wish to become licensed teachers in the State of Illinois in Bilingual Education, Early Childhood Education and Elementary Education.
- Three Master of Arts initial licensure programs: for candidates who have a bachelor's degree in a non-teaching area and wish to receive a Master of Arts in Education and obtain a license to teach in Illinois in grades Pre-K to 8.
- Master of Science in Teaching and Inquiry: for candidates who currently have their Illinois teaching license and/or are currently teaching and who wish to further their studies in Education through a master's degree program.
- Teacher Licensure Program: for candidates who have a bachelor's degree in a non-teaching area and are seeking a teaching license without a master's degree.
All teacher preparation programs in the Teacher Education Department are accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) and the Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE).
- Bachelor of Arts in Bilingual/Bicultural Education
- Bachelor of Arts in Early Childhood Program
- Bachelor of Arts in Elementary Education Program
- Master of Arts in Early Childhood Education (Currently in revision and not accepting students this fall)
- Master of Arts in Elementary Education
- Master of Science in Teaching and Inquiry
- FOCUS Program - Bilingual/Bicultural Elementary Education, Early Childhood Education, Elementary Education, and Middle School Education.
Office of Clinical Experiences and Student Teaching
For more information concerning clinical experiences and student teaching, please visit the CEST Office.
Northeastern Illinois University offers a wide range of scholarships and grants for education majors.
For more information, please contact the Office of Financial Aid at (773) 442-5000, or visit room D 200.
Teacher Education Department News Updates
Noteworthy at Northeastern: Honoring a veteran
Friday, June 15, 2018The WNBA’s Chicago Sky honored a Northeastern Illinois University Social Work major during a recent game. Read about U.S. Navy veteran Stephen Joseph’s game experience…
Northeastern awards tenure and promotions to 11 faculty members
Thursday, June 14, 2018Northeastern Illinois University has awarded tenure and promotions to associate professor for 11 members of the faculty, who were introduced during the June 14 Board…
Social Work major honored by Chicago Sky for military service
Wednesday, June 13, 2018Stephen Joseph noticed a change in his son when he returned from a year in combat in Afghanistan. A 20-year veteran of the U.S. Navy,…