The Teacher Education Department encompasses:
- Three undergraduate initial teacher licensure programs: for undergraduate candidates who wish to become licensed teachers in the State of Illinois in Bilingual Education, Early Childhood Education and Elementary Education.
- Three Master of Arts initial licensure programs: for candidates who have a bachelor's degree in a non-teaching area and wish to receive a Master of Arts in Education and obtain a license to teach in Illinois in grades Pre-K to 8.
- Master of Science in Teaching and Inquiry: for candidates who currently have their Illinois teaching license and/or are currently teaching and who wish to further their studies in Education through a master's degree program.
- Teacher Licensure Program: for candidates who have a bachelor's degree in a non-teaching area and are seeking a teaching license without a master's degree.
All teacher preparation programs in the Teacher Education Department are accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) and the Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE).
- Bachelor of Arts in Bilingual/Bicultural Education
- Bachelor of Arts in Early Childhood Program
- Bachelor of Arts in Elementary Education Program
- Master of Arts in Early Childhood Education (Currently in revision and not accepting students this fall)
- Master of Arts in Elementary Education
- Master of Science in Teaching and Inquiry
- FOCUS Program - Bilingual/Bicultural Elementary Education, Early Childhood Education, Elementary Education, and Middle School Education.
Office of Clinical Experiences and Student Teaching
For more information concerning clinical experiences and student teaching, please visit the CEST Office.
Northeastern Illinois University offers a wide range of scholarships and grants for education majors.
For more information, please contact the Office of Financial Aid at (773) 442-5000, or visit room D 200.
Teacher Education Department News Updates
Noteworthy at Northeastern: Take the tour
5 days agoNortheastern Illinois University’s El Centro and Carruthers Center locations will be featured in the annual Open House Chicago event this weekend. Read about their participation,…
Noteworthy at Northeastern: Looking greener
Friday, October 5, 2018The Jacob H. Carruthers Center for Inner City Studies is looking a little greener these days after the installation of a solar hot water system.…
Illinois Clean Energy Community Foundation grant funds solar hot water system at Carruthers Center
Friday, October 5, 2018With the aid of a $20,000 grant from the Illinois Clean Energy Community Foundation and a $34,840 contribution by the NEIU Student Green Fee Fund,…