The Teacher Education Department encompasses:
- Three undergraduate initial teacher licensure programs: for undergraduate candidates who wish to become licensed teachers in the State of Illinois in Bilingual Education, Early Childhood Education and Elementary Education
- Three Master of Arts initial licensure programs: for candidates who have a Bachelor degree in a non-teaching area and wish to receive a Master of Arts in Education and obtain a license to teach in Illinois in Grades Pre K to 8.
- Master of Science in Teaching and Inquiry: for candidates who currently have their Illinois teaching license and/or are currently teaching, and who wish to further their studies in Education through a masters degree program.
- Teacher Licensure Program: for candidates who have a Bachelor degree in a non-teaching area and are seeking a teaching license without a masters degree.
All teacher preparation programs in the Teacher Education Department are accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) and the Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE).
- Bachelor of Arts in Bilingual/Bicultural Education
- Bachelor of Arts in Early Childhood Program
- Bachelor of Arts in Elementary Education Program
- Master of Arts in Early Childhood Education (Currently in revision and not accepting students this fall)
- Master of Arts in Elementary Education
- Master of Science in Teaching and Inquiry
- FOCUS Program - Bilingual/Bicultural Elementary Education, Early Childhood Education, Elementary Education, and Middle School Education.
Office of Clinical Experiences and Student Teaching
For more information concerning clinical experiences and student teaching, please visit the CEST Office
Northeastern Illinois University offers a wide range of scholarships and grants for education majors.
For more information, please contact the Office of Financial Aid at 773-442-5000, Building D, Rm. 200.
Teacher Education Department News Updates
Greg Carr to lecture at Carruthers Center
3 days agoAssociate Professor of Africana Studies and Chair of the Department of Afro-American Studies at Howard University Greg Carr will deliver a lecture titled “Black Education and Politics in…
Pakistan ambassador to U.S. to speak at Northeastern
3 days agoNortheastern Illinois University’s Department of Political Science and Dr. Mohammad Mossadegh Initiative will host Pakistan’s ambassador to the United States, Aizaz Ahmad Chaudhry, for a…
Noteworthy at Northeastern: A season of music
6 days agoNortheastern Illinois University has announced the next season of its highly regarded Jewel Box Series. Don’t miss a beat! Find out who will perform in…