Located on the lower level of the Ronald Williams Library (LIB 006W), the University Archives preserves historical records of NEIU and assists the NEIU community with research projects.
Archived materials are primary sources of particular interest to students exploring the history of the University, the evolution of the academic programs, administrative initiatives, and the development and growth of the physical facilities.
- Digital Collections
- Guidelines for Transfer of Records to University Archives (Download University Archives Intake Request Form (PDF))
- Procedures for Sending Documents
Monday-Friday, 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Saturday & Sunday, CLOSED
To ensure the best service, please make an appointment by calling (773) 442-4402 or ext. 4402.
- Guide to Collections
- Campus History - Selected Text and Images
- History of the Chicago Parental School
- Northeastern Illinois University Yearbooks
Examples of archived documents are:
- historical photographs;
- presidential papers;
- records from the various departments such as Academic Affairs & Student Affairs;
- memoranda, council minutes, proceedings, Faculty Senate minutes;
- records of the Board of Trustees, University sponsored programs and activities;
- University budgets;
- publications of student organizations, yearbooks, and the school newspaper;
- blueprints of campus buildings and surrounding areas.
There is also a small collection of documents pertaining to the Japanese Internment Redress hearings and a related conference that was held at NEIU in 1981.
Please note that the University Archives does not accept anything of a confidential nature which would be inappropriate to make publicly available or publish on the internet, such as student and personnel records.
Guidelines for Transfer of Records to University Archives
The University Archives would like the cooperation of all University departments in developing the collection. University departments should retain documents for a period of seven years, after which time appropriate documents should be transferred to the University Archives for evaluation of pertinence and importance, and permanent storage.
Please note that those records and documents sent to the University Archives which lack relevance to the main function of the University Archives will be returned or discarded.
Procedures for Sending Documents
When an office or department has identified records it wants to archive, there are 3 basic steps the office should take:
- Contact University Archives for an assessment. Assessments may be conducted on-site or by email.
- If the records are appropriate for transfer to the University Archives, complete the University Archives Intake Request Form (PDF).
- Put the completed University Archives Intake Request Form (PDF) in the box(es) being transferred to University Archives.
Please follow the detailed procedures with the appropriate shipping form to send documents to the University Archives.