The SCSE—Your Connection to Academic and Professional Success in the Sciences
The Student Center for Science Engagement (SCSE) is a friendly space where students gather to study and talk about science. At the SCSE students form study groups, receive tutoring and get individualized guidance on preparing for science-oriented careers.
Central to the mission of the SCSE is to support the academic challenges and career development of NEIU students. In particular, the SCSE assists students interested in or majoring in the following disciplines:
- Computer science
- Earth science
- Environmental science
Students are supported as they prepare for graduate school and jobs that leverage their scientific training. In the words of one Northeastern science student: “The SCSE offers great opportunities to learn and gain valuable experience.”
- Mentorship, advising and assistance with academic and professional questions
- Tutoring in science and math courses, and summer GRE preparation class.
- Professional development workshops such as The Summer Internship, Your Graduate School Application, Creating a LinkedIn Profile, and Developing Effective Science Communication Skills
- Guidance on summer research opportunities.
- Assistance with scientific conferences.
- Support with graduate school exploration and application.
- Introduction to professional opportunities. Guest speakers discuss exciting career possibilities.
- Science magazines and fun articles on current science topics as well as a science book exchange and a recycling area.
To enhance your overall experience in the sciences at Northeastern visit the SCSE where you will find support that can make a difference!
The Student Center for Science Engagement was established in 2008 with an award from the Department of Education’s College Cost Reduction and Access Act (CCRAA) for Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) grants.
Noteworthy at Northeastern: Spring semester is underway
5 days agoThe first week of classes is almost done, and we’re already looking ahead to a special guest speaker next week for the Rev. Dr. Martin…
Rainbow PUSH senior advisor Janette Wilson to deliver MLK tribute event speech
Tuesday, January 10, 2017Attorney, reverend and Rainbow PUSH Coalition senior advisor Janette Wilson will visit Northeastern Illinois University on Jan. 17 as the keynote speaker of the Rev.…
Noteworthy at Northeastern: Special guests
Friday, January 6, 2017Happy New Year! Spring semester classes don’t begin for a few more days, but we already have exciting news to begin 2017. Find out which…