Northeastern Illinois University Student Counseling and Career Services has a long history of involvement in various levels of clinical training. Currently, Psychotherapy Practicum is for students enrolled in doctoral programs in Clinical or Counseling Psychology. The focus of the Psychotherapy Practicum involves developing solid clinical skills, increasing self-awareness, engaging in self-reflection, deepening multicultural awareness and competency, and developing a professional identity. This is accomplished by joining the clinical team in:
- Direct clinical services (intakes, individual, and couples therapy)
- Outreach for the university community
- Training seminar
- Individual and group supervision
- Case disposition
Practicum students spend 22 hours per week on site. The Psychotherapy Practicum begins mid-August and runs through May of the following year.
To apply, please e-mail the following materials in one PDF file in the following order:
- Cover letter
- Personal statement - In your personal statement, please address the following: What are your goals for psychotherapy practicum? Also, please describe your approach to your clinical work and how it fits with who you are as a person and who you want to be as a therapist.
- Two Letters of Recommendation
- Copy of your graduate transcript
- Please make sure the subject line of your e-mail reads, "prac-app Last name, First name." For instance, if your name is Sofia Fernandez, your e-mail should be titled, "prac-app Fernandez, Sofia."
Send your application materials to:
Dr. Miki Koyama
Application and Timeline
Our process and timelines comply with ACEPT guidelines. Consequently, applications will be accepted for practicum beginning February 2nd, 2018, with interviews expected through mid-March. Please note that completed application materials must be received by February 9th, 2018 for full consideration. Psychotherapy practicum runs from mid-August through May of the following year.
For More Information
If you have other questions about the Psychotherapy Practicum at Northeastern, contact Dr. Miki Koyama by email at email@example.com or telephone at (773) 442-4650.