Friday, July 7, 2017
Noteworthy at Northeastern: An inspirational alumna
In case we haven’t said it enough: Northeastern Illinois University’s alumni continue to make us proud.
Read the latest inspirational story about an alumna who created a center for adolescents and adults with disabilities, find out who was interviewed by the BBC and make your plans for NEIU Weekend in the latest edition of Noteworthy at Northeastern!
Around the Commons
Dream of Hopes
Northeastern alumna Laura Stock founded Dream of Hopes Ranch in 2000. Now almost two decades later, the center for adolescents and adults with disabilities serves as a 3,000-squre-foot second home to more than 50 families in the Austin, Texas, area. Since it was founded, Dream of Hopes Ranch has provided about 200 adolescents and adults with learning and intellectual disabilities—or “ranchers,” as Stock likes to say—a safe and supportive space to learn life skills, play sports and socialize. Read more about Stock’s inspiring story.
And there’s more!
- Linguistics Professor Richard Hallett presented his paper “Fractal recursivity and languages other than English (LOTE) in travel phrasebooks” and Linguistics Instructor Jill Hallett presented her paper “Retreat or bleed: Intersections of metaphors, micro-cultures, and world Englishes” at the International Association for World Englishes Conference in Syracuse, N.Y., on June 30-July 2.
In the media
Help from the Trump administration
The BBC quoted Associate Professor of Educational Inquiry and Curriculum Studies Lance Williams in a story about how President Donald Trump’s administration could help solve gun crime in Chicago. Williams specifically addressed the need for housing stability and after-school programs. “Even prior to creating jobs, you're going to need some social skills training and basic support for these kids to make them employable,” Williams told the BBC.
Registration is now open for NEIU Weekend, scheduled for Sept. 15-16! Alumni, students, parents, faculty, staff and friends are all welcome as Northeastern kicks off the celebration of its 150th anniversary with live music, campus tours, a family picnic and of course the Golden Gala Alumni Awards.
Mark your calendar!
- Waste Not, Want Not exhibition, through July 21, Fine Arts Gallery
- Thursday Night Live: St. Marlboro, 3 p.m. July 8, Student Lounge
- Thursday Night Live: Gnar Wave Rangers, 9 p.m. July 11, Student Lounge
- “It Happened Here” screening, 7:30 p.m. July 12, Auditorium
- Thursday Night Live: Pygmy Tribe, 10 p.m. July 13, Student Lounge
All about YouTube
It’s not just Commencement videos, of course. Check out Northeastern’s official YouTube channel to see speeches from special guests, coverage of University events and messages from the president.
Do you have a story tip? Let the public relations office know!
Mike Hines, Director of Public Relations, firstname.lastname@example.org, (773) 442-4240