The financial operations of the University are managed by the Vice President for Finance and Administration.
Questions or requests regarding the University Budget should be directed to (773) 442-5117.
Questions or requests regarding vendor payments should be directed to (773) 442-5146.
Other questions or requests regarding other University finances should be directed to (773) 442-5143.
Vendors are encouraged to visit the Illinois Public Higher Education Procurement Bulletin to register to receive announcements regarding current bid opportunities and a list of vendor awards for Northeastern as required by Public Act 94-1444. Please pay close attention to our bid requirements before submitting your proposal.
The Purchasing Office is exclusively responsible for purchasing goods and services on behalf of the University at the lowest possible total end use cost consistent with guidelines of price, service, quality, delivery and terms of sale; or give functional directions to others delegated the authority to perform such services. It coordinates the purchasing process, ensuring compliance with policies and procedures mandated by applicable state statute, the Illinois Procurement Code, University Board of Trustee regulations, and the fiscal policies and procedures of the University. The Purchasing Office is responsible for the following:
- Having the sole authority for obligating University funds and final authority for vendor selection, except where others are specifically authorized by University policy.
- Establishing and monitoring effective internal procedures to efficiently process purchase transactions.
- Taking the leadership role in establishing and directing the expected levels of due diligence in the review of contractual obligations.
- Initiating and maintaining effective and professional relationships with suppliers, actual and potential. Purchasing will encourage the exchange of technical and market information consistent with long-range University business objectives and advise management accordingly of pertinent changes.
- Overseeing the competitive bidding process in accordance with the policies and procedures mandated by the Illinois Procurement Code and University Board of Trustee regulations.
- Assisting campus units in locating sources of supply and furnish prices and estimates of cost for materials, equipment, and services to campus units.
- Recommending changes that improve product quality, promote better availability, or provide greater economies in purchase or application in order that the best interests of the University may be served.
- Coordinating purchase orders, as required, to ensure that vendors fulfill the purchase agreement on delivery, and that the carrier delivers the shipment promptly and in good condition.
- Communicating with the vendor all required correspondence concerning purchases including price adjustments, the return of defective or incorrect materials, additional shipments to fill shortages, purchase order cancellation, and to present claims for shortages and damages.
- Encouraging the use of Minority / Female / Persons with Disabilities owned business enterprises as suppliers of goods and services to the University if such action provides value to the University and is not in direct conflict with any other statute, policy, or regulation.
- Ensuring that sound procurement ethics and disclosure practices are followed throughout the execution of the procurement effort per the guidelines of Article 50 of the Illinois Procurement Code and the State Gift Ban Act.
- Demonstrating responsible environmental stewardship of the resources under its control by promoting waste stream reduction through the purchase and use of durable, reusable and high post-consumer content recycled products.