The SCSE—Your Connection to Academic and Professional Success in the Sciences
The Student Center for Science Engagement (SCSE) is a friendly space where students gather to study and talk about science. At the SCSE students form study groups, receive tutoring and get individualized guidance on preparing for science-oriented careers.
Central to the mission of the SCSE is to support the academic challenges and career development of NEIU students. In particular, the SCSE assists students interested in or majoring in the following disciplines:
- Computer science
- Earth science
- Environmental science
Students are supported as they prepare for graduate school and jobs that leverage their scientific training. In the words of one Northeastern science student: “The SCSE offers great opportunities to learn and gain valuable experience.”
- Mentorship, advising and assistance with academic and professional questions
- Tutoring in science and math courses, and summer GRE preparation class.
- Professional development workshops such as The Summer Internship, Your Graduate School Application, Creating a LinkedIn Profile, and Developing Effective Science Communication Skills
- Guidance on summer research opportunities.
- Assistance with scientific conferences.
- Support with graduate school exploration and application.
- Introduction to professional opportunities. Guest speakers discuss exciting career possibilities.
- Science magazines and fun articles on current science topics as well as a science book exchange and a recycling area.
To enhance your overall experience in the sciences at Northeastern visit the SCSE where you will find support that can make a difference!
The Student Center for Science Engagement was established in 2008 with an award from the Department of Education’s College Cost Reduction and Access Act (CCRAA) for Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) grants.
Noteworthy at Northeastern: Global and local
2 days agoFrom the Yucatán Peninsula to Chicago’s neighborhoods, Northeastern Illinois University’s faculty and students continue to make a difference locally and globally. Find out how, plus…
Two students selected to NASPA fellowship program
2 days agoNortheastern Illinois University students Gabriela Mata and Claudia Xoy have been selected for the Student Affairs Administrators in Higher Education (NASPA) Undergraduate Fellowship Program (NUFP). When…
Trio Voronezh to perform in Northeastern Jewel Box Series
6 days agoInternationally acclaimed Russian music ensemble Trio Voronezh will perform at Northeastern Illinois University on Friday, Feb. 20. Formed by Vladimir Volokhin, Valerie Petrukhin and Sergei Teleshev, Trio Voronezh…