Expectations for Future Residents
We expect our students to be contributing members of The Nest community. We expect them to be respectful of others and engage in the community to take advantage of the opportunities afforded to them within the residence hall.
Application and Lease Agreement Questions
Am I eligible to apply for Student Housing?
- All students admitted to Northeastern Illinois University are eligible to apply. Undergraduate students enrolled with at least 12 credit hours and graduate students enrolled with at least 9 credit hours will be given preference.
How much does it cost to apply for Student Housing?
- Applicants must pay a $50 non-returnable application fee and a $250 security deposit. The security deposit is refundable assuming the unit is in good condition upon move-out.
When can I apply for Student Housing?
- Students can apply now at neiustudenthousing.com. Please note that only students who have already been admitted to Northeastern Illinois University will be eligible to apply. Students are encouraged to sign up as soon as possible as housing is limited and not guaranteed.
How much will Student Housing at The Nest cost?
- Current rates and floor plans can be found at neiustudenthousing.com
What are the payment due dates?
- The first payment is due August 1, 2017 and the second payment is due December 1, 2017. These payments cover housing for August 25, 2017 through August 11, 2018.
What is a Financial Aid Deferral Agreement?
- The Financial Aid Deferral Agreement allows residents who receive financial aid to delay their housing payments until their aid becomes available. Residents who know that their financial aid award will cover housing costs should complete this deferral agreement form when they sign their lease contracts. Once the Financial Aid Deferral Agreement is submitted, a resident will have until October 15, 2017 to pay the first installment and until March 15, 2018 to pay the second installment. This agreement will be available in Spring 2017. All students are responsible for payment regardless of award.
Do I need a guarantor to sign a Lease Agreement?
- Yes. Regardless of age or classification, all residents of The Nest must provide a Guarantor (the person who will financially guarantee the lease) to co-sign the financial obligation noted in the Lease Agreement in the event that the resident fails to appropriately meet the contract requirements.
When is move-in day?
- Move-in day is August 25, 2017. Only first-year, freshman will be allowed to move in on August 19, 2017 to accommodate freshman orientation.
What are the occupancy dates?
- The Nest occupancy dates are August 21, 2017 to August 11, 2018.
Does The Nest close for holidays and breaks?
- No, The Nest will not close. Residents will be able to occupy their space throughout the entire duration of their lease agreements.
Do I need to enroll in summer classes to live at The Nest in summer?
- No, residents do not need to enroll in summer classes to live at The Nest.
Can I see my room before I move in?
· Residents will not be able to enter their designated unit prior to move-in.
Is The Nest co-ed?
• The Nest units will be based on gender. Wings and floors are not gender-specific. Gender-neutral housing options are available. If you are interested in gender-neutral housing, please indicate this on your application or contact the leasing office at firstname.lastname@example.org or (773) 442-4663.
How will room assignments be made?
- Rooms will be assigned based on the results of the Resident Profile sheet given to residents when they sign their lease. Residents should accurately and honestly indicate their preferences and behaviors so that The Nest employees can group them appropriately. If a resident wishes to live with specific residents, they may indicate this on their Resident Profile sheet. The Nest will do its best to accommodate such requests.
When can I submit my resident profile sheet?
- Students can submit their resident profile sheet when they sign their leasing contract.
If I indicate a roommate preference, will that request be honored?
- The Nest cannot guarantee that all requests will be made; housing arrangements are made on a first-come, first-served basis.
Are room changes possible?
- Yes, room changes are possible. Generally, there is a two-week freeze period that does not allow students to move. After two weeks, students are encouraged to consult their Resident Assistants (RAs) for conflict resolution and refer to their roommate agreement. In the event that issues cannot be resolved, residents must contact the leasing office for more information about room changes.
How many people do I share a bathroom with?
• Each unit has four residents who each share two bathrooms.
How many resident assistants will live in The Nest?
• The Nest will have six resident assistants.
When can I apply to be a resident assistant?
- Resident assistant applications are currently available in person.
Living Arrangement Questions
What appliances are included in each unit?
- All units include a full-size refrigerator, stove, oven, microwave, and dishwasher.
Are stoves gas or electric?
• They are electric.
What furniture is included in each unit?
- All units are furnished with a leather-style sofa, coffee table, kitchen table with chairs, desks, desk chairs, full-sized beds (in the 4-bedroom units) and Twin extra-long beds (in the 2-bedroom units), and dressers.
What utilities are included in the cost of housing?
• The utilities included are: cable, Internet, heat, air-conditioning, trash and waste disposal, water, and electricity (up to a monthly cap).
What is the electricity cap?
• The electricity cap varies per floor plan.
Are laundry facilities on site?
- Yes, laundry facilities are located on site.
What size are the beds?
- All beds are full-sized (in the 4-bedroom units) and Twin extra-long (in the 2-bedroom units).
Will the units have cable?
- Yes, cable television service is provided for all residents living at The Nest. Residents are responsible for bringing their own television, as well as coaxial cable.
Will there be Ethernet connections in each unit?
- Yes, there will be an Ethernet connections in each unit.
Are vacuums provided in The Nest?
- Residents are responsible for bringing their own vacuum to The Nest.
Who is responsible for maintaining the condition of my unit?
- Residents are responsible for maintaining the condition of their units. Resident Assistants will check each unit regularly to ensure proper upkeep of the unit. Under no circumstance are residents to perform repairs. All repairs must be made by The Nest maintenance team. Residents can pick up a request form from their resident assistant or the front office.
Can students remove furniture from their units?
- No. Residents must keep their furniture in their units and return furniture to their original location upon move-out.
Are pets allowed?
- Pets of any kind (permanent, temporary, or visiting) are not allowed on The Nest premises to maintain facility conditions. The Nest will allow therapy animals with the completion of the appropriate approval process through The Nest and Student Disability Services.
Can I get mail and packages when I live at The Nest?
- Residents can receive mail and packages at the Nest. Residents will be able to pick up their parcels in the mail room. Oversized pieces can be retrieved from the front desk.
Is there a maintenance staff at The Nest?
- The Nest will have professional maintenance staff available around the clock for emergencies.
Will my unit be inspected?
- Yes, resident units will regularly be inspected to ensure that unit condition is well-maintained.
Who is responsible for resident property?
- Residents are responsible for their property as well as property of The Nest in their unit. The Nest assumes no responsibility for damages or lost property of residents and/or their guests.
What is the guest policy?
- Residents may have guests with appropriate permissions, up to two consecutive nights, up to four times per year, per guest. Residents are responsible for obtaining permission from their roommates and facility managers. They are also responsible for guest behavior while at The Nest.
Can you help me with a special need?
- If you or your student are seeking special accommodations (ADA, gender-neutral housing assignments, etc.), please indicate on your lease application that you would like special accommodations. If you have any questions about accommodations, please contact The Nest Leasing Office at email@example.com or (773) 442-4663.
What type of activities will happen at The Nest?
- Activities at the Nest will focus on interpersonal growth, life management, and academic success. Resident Assistants will provide engaging programming that is both entertaining and enriching for college students.
How will The Nest contact me with updates?
- The Nest will send periodic updates and information primarily via email, although some materials may arrive through the U.S. postal service. We encourage all students to keep The Nest informed if their contact information changes.
What if I want a smoke-free environment?
• By state law, all Northeastern Illinois University property is a smoke-free. Please refer to the Smoke-Free University policy.
The Nest Guidelines Questions
What fire safety precautions are in place?
- All units are outfitted with smoke detectors and sprinklers. Fire extinguishers are centrally located in each hallway. Drills will be performed each semester to ensure residents understand all the fire safety procedures.
Do I need a vehicle if I live at The Nest?
- Residents do not need a vehicle. As part of their student fees, full-time undergraduate students receive a U-Pass, granting unlimited use of CTA transportation which is effective from the 1st day of class to the last day of finals each applicable semester. This pass allows residents to be mobile throughout Chicago.
Is parking included?
- Parking is not included in your housing payment. Students seeking parking options should consult University Parking for assistance.
Are meal plans required?
- No, meal plans are not required, but a discounted declining-balance plan ($1500, $1000 or $500) is available for students interested in eating in the University Cafeteria.
Is there a food court in the building?
- The Nest does not provide food service; however, the University Cafeteria in the Student Union and Descartes Café in both the Library and Student Union are both options that are in close proximity.
Where is the Leasing Office located?
- The leasing office is currently located at The Nest, 3659 W. Bryn Mawr Avenue.
What is the noise policy?
- Although the exact policy has not yet been established, parameters for respectful noise levels will be enforced at all times.
What is a Limited Liability Lease?
- Limited Liability Leases are contracts in which residents assume financial responsibility for only their commitment to the Nest.
What about alcohol and drugs at The Nest?
- Northeastern Illinois University prohibits underage possession, manufacture, consumption, or distribution of alcoholic beverages on University property. The University also prohibits the manufacture, delivery, sale, use, possession, or distribution of any form of illegal drugs. Please refer to the Student Code of Conduct for more information.
Good Things to Know
Are there curfews at The Nest?
- There is no curfew for residents at The Nest.
Where can I go if I get sick?
- Residents who are ill may visit the Student Health Center. Those with life-threatening health concerns need to call Northeastern Illinois University Police’s emergency line at (773) 442-4100.
Do I need to buy renter’s insurance?
- Residents are encouraged to have renter’s insurance. All property of the resident is their own responsibility.
How will I be billed for Housing?
- Residents of The Nest will be billed for housing through their student accounts.
I have more questions about housing, who can I contact?
- If you have additional questions, please contact The Nest at firstname.lastname@example.org or (773) 442-4663.