Employment opportunity: Currently recruiting for the following position of the summer transition program 2015.
The Summer Transition Program (STP), established in 1989, is a six-week program designed to enhance students’ math, reading comprehension, and writing skills prior to their first college semester. STP prepares first-year admitted students for Northeastern’s college level course work for the Fall semester and for a successful academic and social transition.
More prominently the Summer Transition program of the 2013 has received the 2014 NASPA Excellence Award - Category Gold for supporting the student transition at a Hispanic Serving Institution through a successful Summer Bridge Program. Read More...
The Program begins with a Welcome event followed by a six-week schedule of rigorous academic and social programs and ends with a Closing ceremony to celebrate student accomplishments.
IMPORTANT: Students are required to attend all six weeks of the program and both the event and ceremony.
- Get a jump-start on your academic career and take a FREE* three-credit hour general education course.
- Lunch and course materials are provided at no cost to the student.
- Experience workshops aimed toward improving your math, reading, and writing skills.
- Navigate college life at Northeastern successfully with the help from program staff.
- Work with University staff and Student Success Coaches to explore academic opportunities and different careers at Northeastern.
- Meet and connect with new students.
- Be eligible to retake the placement exam and possibly advance to the next level in math, reading, and/or writing.
*Please note that participants will need to pay for transportation and/or parking expenses.
The results of the Summer Transition Program 2014 show a significant increase in students’ math, reading and writing work.
- Of the 50 students who retested for writing
- 20 placed 1 level higher
- 4 placed 2 levels higher
65% of students placed 1 or more levels higher
- Of the 69 students who retested for math:
- 29 placed 1 level higher
- 13 placed 2 levels higher
- 3 placed 3 levels higher
After taking part in the 2014 Summer Transition Program...
95-98% of participants indicated they are able to:
- Keep going in college and complete a degree, even if they run into academic, personal or social challenges
- Understand the work that is required to be successful in a college class
100% of participants indicated they:
- Know what it means to be a successful college student
On average, STP participants have a higher first semester GPAs and retention rates when compared to non-participants.
STP vs. Non-STP Averages 2013
1st to 2nd year retention rate
- STP – 71.3%
- Non-STP – 57.6%
Average First Term GPA
- STP – 2.77
- Non-STP – 2.31
Important Program Dates
- Application Deadline: May 15, 2015
- Orientation for STP Students: Wednesday, June 24, 2015
- Welcome Event: Wednesday, June 24, 2015, 5:30 – 7:30 p.m.
- STP Program Dates: Monday, June 29 – Friday, August 7, 2015
- Closing Ceremony: Friday, August 7, 2015, 5:30 – 7:30 p.m.
IMPORTANT: Students are expected to attend the entire program, as well the Welcome event and Closing ceremony.
Program Locations, Times and Sample Schedule
Northeastern Illinois University
5500 North Saint Louis Avenue
Chicago, Illinois 60625
Monday – Friday | 9 a.m.- 3 p.m.
Main campus sample STP schedule
Carruthers Center for Inner City Studies
3390 North Avondale Avenue
Chicago, Illinois 60618
Monday – Friday | 3 p.m.- 9 p.m.
El Centro sample STP schedule