Welcome to Northeastern Illinois University! We are excited that you have selected Northeastern to pursue your undergraduate education. Orientation will familiarize you with the campus and Northeastern expectations, as well as provide an opportunity to meet other new students and faculty.
Your day-long orientation will also involve interacting with Northeastern's talented Orientation Leaders (OLs), who will assist your transition to Northeastern. Please plan to be present for the full day.
First year students are required to attend Orientation.
All students who will be attending NEIU in Fall 2014 who have not attended an orientation are encouraged to register for Express Orientation on Saturday, August 23, 2014. Check-in will be at 1PM at the Student Union.
****Click here to register!****
In addition, transfer students are encouraged to attend programs designed for their needs, and family members of first year students are welcome to attend special family orientation sessions along with their students.
|MISSION AND GOALS|
Orientation is designed to support and enhance students' transition to the University by taking a holistic approach to student development and transition, with the ultimate goal of positively impacting student success.
The mission of Orientation programming is to assist new students with a successful transition to Northeastern Illinois University by preparing students for the academic, social, and cultural opportunities and climate of the University, while also supporting parents, partners, guardians, and children of new students.
The mission and goals of Orientation are grounded by Northeastern's strategic plan. Orientation supports student success, which is goal one of the strategic plan. Specifically, the program focuses on two action steps within goal one:
- 1.3: Raise undergraduate and graduate student recruitment, retention, and graduation rates, including those for students from historically underrepresented groups, to specific University benchmarks and goals.
- 1.5: Improve coordination among student and academic support programs and services with a focus on quality, customer service, and intentional integration with the curriculum.
|STUDENT LEARNING OUTCOMES|
- An increased knowledge of the practical competencies needed to be successful at Northeastern Illinois University.
- An enhanced awareness regarding major/academic field of interest.
- Meaningful relationships with faculty, staff, and other students.
- A strengthened sense of self-efficacy.
- A greater level of satisfaction with their decision to attend NEIU.
- An enriched awareness/belief that the University is here to support their success.
- Parents, partners, guardians, and children with increased knowledge of methods to support student success.
- Parents, partners, guardians, and children with an enhanced bond with the University.
- An increased understanding of leadership styles and leadership skills.