The Summer Transition Program (STP), established in 1989, is a six-week program designed to enhance students’ math, reading comprehension, and writing skills prior to their first college semester. STP prepares first-year admitted students for Northeastern’s college level course work for the Fall semester and for a successful academic and social transition.
More prominently the 2013 Summer Transition program received the 2014 NASPA Excellence Award - Category Gold for supporting the student transition at a Hispanic Serving Institution through a successful Summer Bridge Program. Read More...
The Program begins with a Welcome event followed by a six-week schedule of rigorous academic and social programs and ends with a Closing ceremony to celebrate student accomplishments.
IMPORTANT: Students are required to attend all six weeks of the program and both the event and ceremony.
Program Benefits for Students
- Get a jump-start on your academic career and take a FREE* three-credit hour general education course.
- Lunch and course materials are provided at no cost to the student.
- Experience workshops aimed toward improving your math, reading, and writing skills.
- Navigate college life at Northeastern successfully with the help from program staff.
- Work with University staff and Student Success Coaches to explore academic opportunities and different careers at Northeastern.
- Meet and connect with new students.
- Be eligible to retake the placement exam and possibly advance to the next level in math, reading, and/or writing.
*Please note that participants will need to pay for transportation and/or parking expenses.
The results of the Summer Transition Program 2016 show a significant increase in students’ math, reading and writing work.
63% of students placed 1 or more levels higher
- Of the 43 students who retested for writing
- 17 placed 1 level higher
- 6 placed 2 levels higher
- 4 placed 3 levels higher
48% of students placed 1 or more levels higher
- Of the 67 students who retested for math:
- 15 placed 1 level higher
- 15 placed 2 levels higher
- 1 placed 3 levels higher
- 1 placed 4 levels higher
AFTER TAKING PART IN THE 2016 SUMMER TRANSITION PROGRAM...
100% of participants indicated they are able to:
- Keep going in college and complete a degree, even if they run into academic, personal or social challenges
- Know what it means to be a successful college student
- Understand the work that is required to be successful in a college class
On average, STP participants have a higher first semester GPAs and retention rates when compared to non-participants.
STP VS. NON-STP AVERAGES 2014
1st to 2nd year retention rate
- STP – 82.3%
- Non-STP – 56.6%
Average First Term GPA
- STP – 2.81
- Non-STP – 2.35
STP PROGRAM AND ACTIVITIES
Each STP 2016 student who attended every day of the program completed the following: