Assistant Director - Lead Banner DBA
Assistant Director / Lead Banner DBA
Banner ERP application and Oracle database administrator for the Ellucian Banner ERP application and all related integrated components. The incumbent will be responsible for:
- Providing support of the development and implementation Teams for the Banner database, Operational Data Store and Enterprise Data Warehouse
- Development and implementation of processes/procedures necessary to maintain the databases and the schemas used by UTS staff
- Managing configuration and performance tuning of Oracle DBMS. and
- Oracle database and OFM updates, performance, and backups
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Creating, loading and managing databases and DB objects needed by the implementation, development, testing and training teams.
- Mentor and train other DBAs, and application programming staff.
- Planning, monitoring and managing the use of database space for pre and post production environments.
- Manage Banner ERP application update process and oversee patches and update process.
- Respond to issues, trouble-shoot, and repair issues with Oracle databases and associated applications including Banner.
- Develop and implement the processes necessary to re-fresh or otherwise maintain sets of data for testing and development purposes and automate processes when possible.
- Create databases and related database objects/schemas, assist with the physical and logical design of databases.
- Assist in the planning and design of database physical structures to accommodate large transaction processing and high availability.
- Perform database and application monitoring and tuning to ensure databases run at peak performance; troubleshoot performance issues.
- Work with the other DBAs and UTS staff to implement the logical database design in the physical environment.
- Assist in the analysis for database sizing/capacity, server requirements and space requirements.
- Work with the Infrastructure Team to thoroughly implement and test enterprise backup and recovery solution, including Disaster Recovery initiatives.
- Review new database programs, functions, procedures, and packages before they are loaded into production database.
- Perform upgrading patching of database and related systems based upon Development & Operations requests.
- Support data loading, conversion and batch job operation and do troubleshooting of development/production systems.
- Assist in the management of security and roles.
- Build indexes as necessary.
- Provide user support and deliver user & process documentation.
- Possess Oracle Certified Associate (OCA) Certification or better (OCP or OCM) for at least 9i
- Master’s degree in computer science, engineering, or similar degree.
- Advanced knowledge (more than 5 years experience) of database administration, experience should primarily be with Oracle 9i,10g, and 11g applications deployed in a UNIX or Linux environment.
- Must have experience in Oracle 9i or 10g database performance tuning, implementation of new databases, maintenance for existing databases, implementation and maintenance of security and database monitoring activities.
- Working knowledge of PL/SQL, SQL, SQL *PLUS, UNIX/Linux shell scripting.
- Experience administering Oracle Application Server (OAS)
- Experience with Oracle job scheduling.
- Knowledge of J2EE applications.
- Must have excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Experience in a Banner ERP environment, including cloning ERP instances and installing Banner updates.
- Oracle Certified Professional (OCP) or Oracle Certified Master (OCM) Certifications in 10g or 11g.
- Other expert-level Oracle DBMS certifications (Tuning, RAC, SQL, etc.)
- Experience setting up and using Oracle Data Guard for Disaster Recovery.
- Experience configuring and using Oracle Fusion Middleware.
- Real Application Clusters (RAC) experience.
- Experience with Oracle Warehouse Builder (OWB)
- Experience with major Oracle DBMS upgrades (such as from 10g to 11g)
- Java/J2EE development skills.
- Experience with SSO, Sun Identity Management, Active Directory and LDAP preferred.
- Working knowledge of the Cognos Reporting Suite of Tools and their interconnectivity with Oracle databases.
- Ability to work with and lead team.
Applicants are expected to respond based on the entire job description. A complete application will include cover letter, resume and the names, addresses, phone numbers and e-mail addresses of at least three current, professional references.
Application materials should be submitted electronically, to
In order to be considered for employment by Northeastern Illinois University (NEIU), you must submit the following:
You can obtain an Employment Application and Statement of Annuitant Status form at the NEIU Office of Human Resources , Bernard Office Building (B0B), 5555 N. Bernard, Chicago, IL 60625, Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. NEIU reserves the right not to consider any application on the basis of incomplete information/documents, delay in submission, and disqualifications however, assures that your application will be duly reviewed on the basis of the position (s) in which you qualify and, accordingly, will inform you of their decision.
Review of applications will continue until 1/15/2014, or until the position is filled.
Northeastern Illinois University is an Affirmative Action/ Equal Opportunity Employer and Invites Applications from Women and Minorities as well as Other Qualified Individuals.