About Math Placement Testing
Purpose and Description of Testing for Students Entering NEIU in Fall 2011
Math placement testing evaluates your initial course readiness to be successful in mathematics at NEIU.
The University does not allow students to register for any mathematics course without prior testing or prior coursework. Mathematics placement is based on either the math ACT score or math placement testing results. Calculators are not allowed to be used during MPT testing.
Entering freshman students are given two options for placement into a math course: ACT scores or the Math Placement Test (MPT). Freshmen who submit ACT scores to the university can be placed directly into a math course based solely on their ACT math score. These freshmen also have the option of taking our Math Placement Test (MPT) in which case the university will use the higher of the two scores for placement into a math course. Since there is no penalty to taking the MPT, freshmen are strongly encouraged to do so, particularly if they took a math course in their senior year of high school.
- Freshmen with Math ACT scores of 21 or less are given the Basic MPT. The Basic MPT is one hour consisting of a thirty minute test in Elementary Algebra and a thirty minute test in Intermediate Algebra. Students with Math ACT scores of 22 or higher are given the Advanced MPT. The Advanced MPT is one hour consisting of a thirty minute test in Intermediate Algebra and a thirty minute test in Pre-Calculus.
- Freshmen who do not submit ACT scores must take the Basic MPT.
- Freshmen who receive a score of ‘3’ or higher on the AP Calculus test are not required to take the either version of the MPT.
Transfer students who have not successfully completed college-level coursework in mathematics at their prior institution are required to take the Math Placement Test. The exceptions to this policy are:
- Transfer students who receive a grade of ‘C’ or better in Intermediate Algebra at their transfer institution. However, since Intermediate Algebra is not a college-level course, they will be required to provide proof of course completion, in the form of a transcript to the Mathematics Department in order to obtain permission to register for additional math courses at NEIU.
- Transfer students who have submit ted their ACT scores can be placed into a math course based solely on their ACT math score.
Testing Preparation Information: Practice Tests
Students can review for the MPT by downloading practice tests in Elementary Algebra, Intermediate Algebra, and Pre-Calculus……………..download of PDF files.
Placement Results, Advisement, and Review
Math Placement Test results can be obtained at the Academic Advisement and Testing Center in LWH-0027. Student must show a picture ID in order to obtain results. For information on math placement based on MPT results or ACT scores Click Here.