About the Scholarships Office
The Scholarships Office promotes and awards University scholarship funds to deserving students. The goal is to assist in lessening the financial burden that many students seek to overcome. Scholarship information (criteria, application and deadline) is offered for each scholarship awarded.
NEIU Foundation Scholarships
The Northeastern Illinois University Foundation annually awards thousands of dollars in scholarships and awards supported by the generous contributions of University alumni, faculty, staff and friends. Some scholarships are based on financial need. Some are merit-based, awarded to students whose ability to contribute to campus life is significant because of their academic potential or talent in a particular field. Please click here to view our NEIU Foundation Scholarship Brochure.
How to Apply
- Apply online. Some scholarships may have a priority deadline of April 15
- For the General Application submit (upload) current resume or listing highlighting extracurricular activities, leadership positions held, academic honors, community service, employment and etc.
- Respond to the required essay question (250 word minimum).
For further information:
Contact the Scholarships Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or at (773) 442-4606
Nest Student Housing Scholarship
Northeastern Illinois University is now offering scholarships for the new student housing. Click here for more information.
Brommel Doctoral Scholarship
The purpose of this scholarship is to support doctoral study for alumni who have received either bachelor’s or master’s degrees from Northeastern Illinois University who meet the specified criteria as stipulated by the donor, Dr. Bernard J. Brommel.
Valued at over $50,000 during the course of four academic years, the Presidential Scholarship covers full in-state tuition, fees, and provides a book allowance. Each year, six new Presidential Scholars are selected.
Established in 2000, the first Northeastern Illinois University Presidential Scholarship was awarded to a recipient who after graduating from NEIU, attended and completed law school and is now a practicing attorney in Chicago. The Presidential Scholarship Program attracts graduating high school seniors who demonstrate strong academic promise from the Chicago metropolitan and suburban areas. Through the support of this scholarship students are able to concentrate on their academic studies and be engaged in college life. Recipients of this scholarship major in academic fields such as business, music, social work, chemistry, education, biology, and psychology just to name a few. Presidential Scholars receive automatic admission into the University Honors Program, take advantage of study abroad opportunities, and are involved in a variety of student organizations on campus, which enhance their leadership skills and commitment to service learning. This opportunity is open to incoming beginning freshman only. The application deadline is February 15th.
Merit, Talent, & Opportunity Scholarships
The College of Arts & Sciences, College of Business & Management, College of Education, Nontraditional Degree Programs, and the University Honors Programs offer merit awards for high achieving students. Award amounts vary and cover tuition only. Open to new freshman and transfer students as well as continuing students. Apply here.
- Freshmen selection is based upon high school class rank (upper 15%), ACT composite score of 24 (25 for University Honors Program), GPA range of 3.0 - 3.50, essay, and letter of recommendation.
- Transfers and continuing students selection is based upon a GPA range of 3.0 - 3.50 depending upon the program, essay and letters of recommendation.
- Please utilize the online search and application tool to view scholarship criteria and to apply.