The SCSE—Your Connection to Academic and Professional Success in the Sciences
The Student Center for Science Engagement (SCSE) is a friendly space where students gather to study and talk about science. At the SCSE students form study groups, receive tutoring and get individualized guidance on preparing for science-oriented careers.
Central to the mission of the SCSE is to support the academic challenges and career development of NEIU students. In particular, the SCSE assists students interested in or majoring in the following disciplines:
- Computer science
- Earth science
- Environmental science
Students are supported as they prepare for graduate school and jobs that leverage their scientific training. In the words of one Northeastern science student: “The SCSE has been absolutely instrumental in the development of our research project for everyone involved!”
- Mentorship, advising and assistance with academic and professional questions
- Tutoring in science and math courses, and summer GRE preparation class.
- Professional development workshops such as The Summer Internship, Your Graduate School Application, Creating a LinkedIn Profile, and Developing Effective Science Communication Skills
- Guidance on summer research opportunities.
- Assistance with scientific conferences.
- Support with graduate school exploration and application.
- Introduction to professional opportunities. Guest speakers discuss exciting career possibilities.
- Science magazines and fun articles on current science topics as well as a science book exchange and a recycling area.
To enhance your overall experience in the sciences at Northeastern visit the SCSE where you will find support that can make a difference!
The Student Center for Science Engagement was established in 2008 with an award from the Department of Education’s College Cost Reduction and Access Act (CCRAA) for Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) grants.
Northeastern Illinois University El Centro Opening Delayed to Sept. 20
6 hours agoNortheastern Illinois University’s new El Centro facility will open to students Saturday, September 20, 2014, instead of on the official first day of school, Saturday,…
Northeastern Illinois University Selects American Campus Communities to Develop its Student Housing
6 days agoNortheastern Illinois University has selected the team member that will be responsible for the planning, development and operations of the University’s inaugural student residences. One…
New El Centro Location to Open Fall 2014
Sunday, August 10, 2014After more than 40 years of serving students and the community in leased space, Northeastern Illinois University El Centro will have a new, permanent home…