An international applicant is a foreign student who plans to apply for or is currently in the United States on an F visa or B1/B2 visa.
How to Apply
To apply for admission, please submit the following documents:
- Undergraduate Application or Graduate Application and $30 application fee
- ECE (www.ece.org) or WES (www.wes.org) evaluation of all college/university coursework completed outside of the United States. Graduates must have an U.S. equivalent bachelor's degree or equivalent under the Bologna Accord.
- Undergraduate only: Official Transcripts from high school and Official ACT/SAT scores (required only for freshmen who have never attended college or university)
- Official Transcripts for all colleges/universities attended within the United States (required for transfer students who previously attended college or university)
- TOEFL or IELTS official score report.
- Minimum for Undergraduates: TOEFL score of 500 (paper exam) OR 173 (computer exam) OR 61 (Internet exam) or minimum IELTS score of 6. (this is waived if you earned 24 credits from a United States college or university)
- Minimum for Graduates: TOEFL score of 550 (paper exam) OR 213 (computer exam) OR 79 (Internet exam) or Minimum IELTS score of 6.5)
- An official bank letter(s) from each sponsor. Amounts must be given in US Dollars.
- Northeastern Undergraduate Financial Statement or Graduate Financial Statement (this form must be notarized)
- If you are currently in the United States, submit a copy of your visa and I-94
- If you are currently in the United States, submit a copy of your current I-20
Once your application is processed, wait for your I-20 to schedule appointment with US Consular Office (www.usembassy.gov). To check on the status of your I-20, contact the Office of International Programs at International-Programs@neiu.edu.
When you arrive in the United States, report to the Office of International Programs at Northeastern Illinois University as soon as possible.
Please refer to the application general information for full details.
Freshmen Admission is based on an applicant's Admission Decision Score. This score is calculated as follows:
(ACT Composite) (10) + (CUM GPA) (200) = ADS
Applicants with an admission decision score of 649 or higher meet full admission requirements. Applicants with an Admission Decision Score between 550 and 648 meet admission requirements and are assigned to one of our Student Success Programs.
Transfer students must have a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale.
Second bachelors applicants must have earned a bachelor’s degree or equivalent from a regionally accredited college or university and have a GPA of 2.0 or higher.
Masters applicants should refer to the graduate admission requirements or more information.
Funding Your Education and More
For more information about funding your education or for more information about International Programs, please visit the International Programs website.