Academic Progress Standards
The U.S. Department of Education Student Financial Aid regulations require that NEIU establish and maintain a policy to measure whether students applying for financial aid are making satisfactory academic progress toward degree completion. NEIU has implemented the following Satisfactory Academic Progress standards necessary to evaluate a financial aid recipient’s continued eligibility for funds.
Students are expected to:
• Complete successfully sixty-seven percent (67%) of the cumulative attempted hours
• Maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or "C" as an undergraduate by the end of each semester. Each semester undergraduate students are expected to maintain a 2.0 cumulative GPA at Northeastern Illinois University. Graduate students are expected to maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or "B" end of each semester.
Click here for more detail on the Standards of Academic Progress Policy (downloadable document).
Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal Guidelines
If a student is unable to meet the Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements due to extenuating circumstances, they may submit a typewritten appeal requesting the reinstatement of their financial aid eligibility. Students who wish to appeal being placed on termination status must complete the following steps:
1. Submit a typewritten appeal to the Financial Aid Office. Letters of appeal sent by e-mail will not be accepted. Students should attach their appeal to the Petition Cover Sheet.
2. Include supporting documentation verifying the situation (i.e.: letter from physician, copy of memorial service, police or accident report, etc.) with the appeal petition.
3. Include an academic plan of action that will enable the student to meet the minimum standards in the future.
4. Students terminated for exceeding the maximum hours requirement should also include a letter from their department academic advisor listing the courses still needed to complete their degree AND the anticipated date of graduation.
Appeals will be considered by the Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal Committee, which will render a decision. This Committee consists of members from various NEIU departments and offices, including the Financial Aid Office. The Committee meets every six to eight weeks during the semester unless an emergency situation occurs and the meeting is rescheduled.
Any appeals received after the eighth week of the term will not be considered until the
following term. The Financial Aid Office will promptly notify the student in writing of the committee’s decision. Students in termination status may enroll in classes. However, if their appeal is denied the student is responsible for any charges incurred at NEIU.
Financial Aid cannot be retroactively reinstated if an appeal is approved AFTER a semester has ended.